Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content


College of Social Sciences Advising Center

Location: McKee Fisk 207


Mondays/Thursdays/Fridays:  8 am - 5 pm (appointments only)

Tuesdays:  8 am - 7 pm (appointments only)

Wednesdays:  8 am - 7 pm (walk-ins only; last walk-in at 6:30 pm)

Website:  /advising/

Contact for advising appointment:

Academic Counselor:  Ross Whitton

Advising Worksheets

Prior to making an appointment with a faculty adviser, students are expected to review and/or print a copy of their Degree Progress Report (DPR)* and look it over, attempting to identify what courses or areas for their degrees (if any) have yet to be fulfilled. Advising appointments should serve as confirmation of what needs to be completed for the degree.

*What is a Degree Progress Report (DPR) and how do I obtain one?

The DPR is an outline of the various courses that you will need in order to graduate in your major, including General Education (GE) requirements.

You may obtain directions regarding how to obtain your DPR report through your portal at MyFresnoState.

DPR Instructional Video with information on how to run:

Other Links

Advising Notes

1.  Tier One Lower Division courses—SOC 1/1S and SOC 3/3S—must be completed with a grade of C or better before enrollment in Tier Two Upper Division courses. 

2.  Tier Two Upper Division courses—SOC 125 and 130W/WS—must be completed with a grade of C or better completed before enrollment in Tier Three courses, generally before the second semester of the junior year.  

3.  Tier Three Theory and Methods Core—SOC 152 or 153, SOC 151, SOC 175, and SOC 176—must be completed with a 2.0 GPA.

4.  Upper division electives may be taken in any sequence.

5. Students majoring in sociology are permitted to pass the Upper-Division Writing Examination (UDWE) in lieu of taking SOC 130W/WS, thus completing only one course for 4 units in Tier Two Upper Division Core. However, students must still complete a minimum of 45 units of sociology coursework for the B.A., and will need to complete 19 units of upper division sociology elective coursework.  If the student requests 1 unit of ENGL 100W for passing the UDWE, that unit will be applied to the overall elective unit total for the B.A.

6. CR/NC grading is not permitted in the sociology major, except for courses offered only under CR/NC grading.

7.  General Education and elective units may be used toward a double major or minor (see Double Major or department minor). Consult the appropriate department chair, program coordinator, or faculty advisor for further information.

8. No General Education Integration or Multicultural/International course offered by the Sociology Department may be used to satisfy the General Education requirements for majors in the department.